Friday, October 28, 2011

Arugula, Beet, and Goat-cheese salad

This recipe is from the Everday Foods, Great Food Fast cookbook. My husband loved it, so I thought I had to post it. He said he wished I had made the goat cheese disks smaller, bite size. For the beets you can use canned beets or roast the beets. I roasted the beets two days ago (because I bought the beets, then looked for a recipe), earlier today I did the goat cheese and marinated the beets...I think you could totally do this as a make ahead dish. Also we ate this as the main dish, so it served 2, lol.



Arugula, beet, and goat-cheese salad
Serves 4 - Prep time: 20 min - Total time: 20 min

1/2 walnuts
1 Tbsp finely chopped shallot
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice (I used it from a carton, sorry)
3 Tbsp olive oil (I did just over 2T)
Coarse salt & fresh ground pepper
1 can (15 ounces) whole beets, drained, and sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
6oz soft goat cheese, at room temperature (used 4oz)
8 ounces (one bunch) arugula, stemmed and washed well (I did 6oz)
2oz frisee (4 cups) (I did 2 cups)

Roasting the beets:
wrap about 1lbs (5 small) well scrubbed beets in 2-3 packets of foil
place on a baking sheet, and bake in a preheated 450 degree oven until the beets are slightly soft to the touch
45 min - 1 hour depending on their size, cool the beet in the packets, then rub off the skins (I used rubber gloves for this part)

1. Scatter the walnuts on a baking sheet; toast in a 350 degree oven, tossing once, until golden brown and fragrant, about 10 min. (when I did this my walnuts were almost burned at 8) Let cool, then finely chop and place in a shallow dish.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the shallot, vinegar, orange juice, and oil; season with salt & pepper. Place the beets in a small bowl. Pour one third of the dressing over the beets; toss to coat.

3. With your hands, form the goat cheese into 12 equal balls. Roll the balls one at a time in the walnuts, turning to coat completely, then gently press with fingers to flatten into disks.

4. Place the arugula in a large bowl. Tear the frisee into large pieces, and add to the bowl. Drizzle the greens with the remaining dressing, and toss to combine. Divide among 4 plates, and top each serving with some of the sliced beets and 3 goat-cheese disks.

No comments:

Post a Comment