Sunday, October 9, 2011

Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts


This is from November 2011 Rachel Ray Magazine. I was so excited because it separated the side dishes for Thanksgiving by COLOR! Brilliant. This was SUPER easy and tasted awesome.

Serves: 8, not sure how that could be true, but ok.
Prep: 10, It probably took me 13
Cook: 20, this sounds about right

1 cup coarsely broken walnuts (about 4oz)
1 1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts (I did one bag from the grocery store)
1/4 cup EVOO
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
salt/pepper
**ok, I used about 3T of EVOO, 1tsp of brown sugar, ran out of pepper so I used a few shakes of cayenne, and squirted some lemon juice on it at the end. 
**Also, I may serve with grated parmesan on top. I thought about adding dried cranberries for color in this dish. I definitely think it would work. 

1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350. Spread the walnuts on a small baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 10 min. Let cool.
2. Meanwhile, using a food processor fitted with the slicing disc, shred the brussels sprouts (or half them lenghtwise and shred crosswise with a very sharp knife)
3. In a large skillet, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 2 min. Add the brussels sprouts, 3/4tsp salt and 1/4tsp. pepper and cook, tossing well, until crisp-tender, about 5 min. Stir in the toasted walnuts and spoon into a serving bowl.

Love this dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment