Monday, October 3, 2011

Oatmeal Pumpkin Pancakes

This weekend it was finally cool & breezy enough to officially welcome fall. I was in the mood for oatmeal pumpkin pancakes and tried to find a recipe that I could make as "organic" as possible with what I had in the house that morning. I found this recipe...pretty simple. It was a bit strange to me that the recipe was for a single serving. I quadrupled the recipe so I could freeze the leftovers.



One thing to keep in mind: The batter looks like runny, natural peanut butter. I thought it might have needed a bit more oatmeal (flour) to pull it together, but they turned out great. The family really loved them - there was a texture thing thoguh for me that I just couldn't get over, but they tasted great. I'll definitely make them again!


Oatmeal Pumpkin Pancakes
(keep in mind this receipe yields 1 serving)


2/3 cups oats

1 egg

1/4 cup pumpkin

1/2 cup almond milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

2 teaspoons agave

pinch of salt


Directions:
Preheat griddle or pancake pan to medium heat. In a food processor or blender, pulse oatmeal until finely ground (almost flour consistency). Transfer oat flour to a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Whisk to combine. Grease pancake pan and pour batter on pan. Flip after about 90 second until fully cooked.


I took this recipe from http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/2011/09/oatmeal-pumpkin-pancakes/. The only variation from the orginal was the cinnamon.

3 comments:

  1. YUMMY! I am so making this right now! EJ for a long time was crazy about these, now...it is hit or miss. Thanks for posting. I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I just made this and wanted to write the changes I did someplace. :O) I did everything you said, did whole milk instead (all we had), extra squirt of agave, a tablespoon or two of whole wheat flour and soy flour, almond extract instead of vanilla, and grated some nutmeg in them. Taste so good! So excited to bake this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for all the comments but I also realized that if you like these you might really like these too...http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/11/cottage-cheese-pancakes/ Cottage cheese pancakes. They add some protein to breakfast too. :O)

    ReplyDelete